Friday, December 10, 2010

Funeral Words

In March I wrote a blog about missing my grandfather even though he was sitting right next to me. My grandfather passed away on November 25, 2010. I learned a huge lesson in his final days. I regret that it took me this long and several painful experiences to learn this lesson. However, I tried to convey what I had learned when I spoke at his funeral. Below, I have included the audio of what I said, followed by an English translation. Finally, I have also included the actual Spanish transcription of what I said that day. I hope this will come across clearly, even though I fear it may have lost some of its essence in the translation.

--------------


--------------

Good evening, and thank you for coming. I know we all have our memories of him, and I have my own, but I would like to share something that has impacted me with respect to him, only recently in these past two or three weeks. Please forgive me if I have trouble speaking clearly…

I always remember my grandfather studying. Studying all sorts of things, like medicine to improve his veterinary practice. However, what I remember seeing him study the most, has always been the Bible. I'll always remember how he positioned his Bible on his desk. It was always, with all kind of other papers around, always the Bible in the center, in plain sight. He had his notes which were, at first, hand written, then typewritten, and later he asked me to teach him to use the computer so he could write more notes, and just write more. He never realized the full potential of the computer, but writing was always his aim.

I remember certain studies he had done, and in the years of which I remember, he was always studying sanctification, the death to oneself. The death of the believer to one's self, and being more focused on life, as it should be, in Christ. This was his focus. I always remember his desire to study more, to understand more, and above that, above studying, applying and living what he would study. Not just to casually live certain words in the Bible, like "Love one another" and that's all. Truly living the words of the Bible. It's true, one of his favorite verses was Philippians 1:21. "For to me, living is Christ and dying is gain," but living is Christ.

I know God has His purpose in everything, His time, His calendar. But I, for a long time - years - asked myself, and God; Why? I dealt with this, the Why? Why God? There's a paper around here that says he never asked God, why? But I did. I did. I was seeing this man: intelligent, honorable, servant of God. Why does this have to happen? Why to him? Years have passed that I asked, asked God, without response. This led me to a certain anger, a certain resentment against God, a certain apathy. The answer will never come, we'll know in heaven - but I don't want to wait that long! What has been the purpose of his suffering with this disease? Is it a lesson, something we have to learn? Is it a punishment because of him, or the family? Is it something more I can't even understand? If it is a lesson, who is that lesson for, and why can't they, or I, just learn it and get this over with? These were the questions I would ask myself, and God, without understanding. So many years that I've dealt with this, and the depression of seeing his deteriorating condition.

In these three weeks several events have occurred in my life, that include my grandfather, and other things, that have shaken my view of faith, a real shock. Three weeks ago he was taken to the hospital because of pneumonia, in a week he was in a hospice house. On one of those days we were all gathered there, after my nephew's party, visiting him. We started to read, and my mother read from the Bible. He always wanted to listen, and we believed that even though he couldn't respond, he could still hear us, and he would like to listen to the Bible. We were reading from Colossians, Ephesians, Galatians, Psalms, any of his favorite passages. We arrived at Philippians, in the first chapter. We arrived at these verses that impacted me. I was following along as my mother read. These verses had a real impact on me. If you have your Bibles please follow along, if not, please write these down so you can read them later, on your own time. Verses 19 to 27 of the first chapter of Philippians read as follows… "for I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayers and the help of the Spirit of Jesus Christ. My confident hope is that I will in no way be ashamed but that with complete boldness, even now as always, Christ will be exalted in my body, whether I live or die. For to me, living is Christ and dying is gain. Now if I am to go on living in the body, this will mean productive work for me, yet I don't know which I prefer: I feel torn between the two, because I have a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far, but it is more vital for your sake that I remain in the body. And since I am sure of this, I know that I will remain and continue with all of you for the sake of your progress and joy in the faith, so that what you can be proud of may increase because of me in Christ Jesus, when I come back to you. Only conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ so that - whether I come and see you or whether I remain absent - I should hear that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind, by contending side by side for the faith of the gospel." (New English Translation)

When these verses were read, I finally received an answer. I feel, as strongly that night, as I do now. While these are the words of Paul, I feel these were the final words from my grandfather to me; to all of us, but specifically to me. The answer is found here in verses 19 to 21, and also in 23 to 26. Verse 24 says "but it is more vital for your sake that I remain in the body." The answer, the why. Then, what he always, always taught, and the culmination of it all, the larger purpose; verse 27 "only conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ so that - whether I come and see you or whether I remain absent." Now he is physically absent, even though he lives in our memories. However, his legacy to us is that, to live in Christ. I strongly suggest you read this passage because this impacted me in such a way. As I said, it is as if these were the final words from my grandfather to me. Necessarily, verse 27 "conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ." I believe this is the message, the sanctification, the death to oneself, all this was to this end; to live worthy of the gospel of Christ. Thank you.

-----------------------

Buenas noches, y muchas gracias por venir. Sé que todos tenemos unos recuerdos, unas memorias de el, y yo tengo las mías. Pero yo quiero compartir con ustedes solo algo que me impactó, recientemente de él, y fue en estas ultimas dos o tres semanas. Me disculpan si me es difícil hablar pero…

Yo siempre me acuerdo de ver a mi abuelo estudiando, estudiando cualquier cosa, pero, estudiando la medicina para, mejorar su medicina veterinaria. Pero lo mas que me acuerdo a ver le a el estudiar es, siempre ha sido la Biblia. Y siempre me acuerdo como ponía la Biblia en la mesa, lo tenia allí mismo con el, así puesto. Y siempre estaba, y otros papeles de cualquier cosa, pero siempre la Biblia en el centro, en el centro a la vista siempre. Con sus notas, primero escrito a mano, y después a la machina, y después me pidió que le enseñara la computadora para escribir mas notas y para escribir mas. Y aunque nunca logró usar la computadora a todo su potencial, pero eso era siempre el fin de él.

Me acuerdo de unos de los estudios que el hacía, y en los años del cual yo me acuerdo, el siempre estaba estudiando santificación, y la muerte del yo. La muerte del creyente a si mismo, y estar mas enfocado en la vida, como debe ser, en Cristo. Ese fue el enfoque de él. Y yo siempre me acuerdo de ese, de ese, ese, no se, anhelo para estudiar mas, para entender mas, y mas que eso, mas que estudiar, aplicar y vivir lo que estudiaba. Vivir no solo unas letras en la Biblia, ok, "amad unos a otros", ya, pero no. Vivirlo en sí, en carne propia. Es cierto, uno de los versos favoritos de él, el Filipenses 1:21. "Porque para mí el vivir es Cristo, y el morir es ganancia", pero el vivir es Cristo.

Yo se que Dios tiene su propósito en todo, su tiempo y su calendario. Pero, yo siempre, por largo tiempo, años, me preguntaba a mí mismo, y le preguntaba a Dios, ¿Por qué? Yo lidiaba con eso, el ¿por qué?, ¿Por qué Dios? Y hay un papel que dice allí, no me acuerdo cual, que él nunca le preguntaba a Dios ¿por qué? Pero yo sí. Yo sí. Viendo a un hombre, inteligente, honorable, siervo de Dios, ¿por qué tiene que suceder esto? ¿Por qué a él? Y años han pasado que yo preguntaba, le preguntaba a Dios, sin respuesta. Y a fin, eso me llevó a un cierto enojo, a un cierto resentimiento con Dios, a una cierta apatía. Nunca va llegar la respuesta, lo sabremos en el cielo, pero yo no quiero esperar hasta ese tiempo. ¿Cual es el propósito, cual ha sido el propósito de él sufrir tanto en su enfermedad? ¿Será una lección, algo que tenemos que aprender?, ¿Será un castigo de algo de él o de la familia? ¿Será algo mas que yo no puedo entender? y si es algo que tenemos que aprender, ¿quién es el que lo tiene que aprender? y ¿por qué no viene esa persona, o porque no lo aprendo yo, y ya, se acaba? Esas eran las preguntas que me hacía yo a mí mismo, y después a Dios, no entendiendo. Y entonces, tantos años que lidiaba con eso, con la depresión de verlo, la condición de el, deteriorándose.

Hace tres semanas, en estas tres semanas me han ocurrido varios eventos en mi vida, que incluyen a mi abuelo, y otras cosas en mi vida, que me han sacudido, me han cambiado como veo la fe, me han, en si, no se, un sacudón. Hace tres semanas él, le llevaron al hospital por la neumonía, una semana estaba en la casa de "hospice" hospicio. En unos de esos días estábamos todos juntos después de una fiesta de el sobrino mío, fuimos a visitar. Y empezamos a leer, mi mama estaba leyendo de la Biblia, porque él siempre quería oír, y pensábamos, bueno, creemos que el todavía nos oye, aunque no puede responder, nos oye. Y le gustaría oír, de la Biblia. Entonces, estábamos leyendo de Colosenses, de Efesios, de Gálatas, de cualquier, de Salmos, de cualquiera pasajes que eran los favoritos de el. Y llegamos a Filipenses, llegamos a Filipenses, el primer capitulo. Y llegamos a estos ciertos versos, que me impactó, y yo estaba siguiendo, mi mama estaba leyendo y yo estaba siguiendo, en el teléfono mío tengo la Biblia y yo estaba leyendo, siguiendo. Y estos versos me impactáron. Si tienen sus Biblias siguen conmigo, si no, lo escriben por, les sugiero que lo lean después a su propio tiempo. Los versos 19 de 27 del primer capitulo de Filipenses dicen así… "Porque sé que por vuestra oración y la suministración del Espíritu de Jesucristo, esto resultará en mi liberación, conforme a mi anhelo y esperanza de que en nada seré avergonzado; antes bien con toda confianza, como siempre, ahora también será magnificado Cristo en mi cuerpo, o por vida o por muerte. Porque para mí el vivir es Cristo, y el morir es ganancia. Mas si el vivir en la carne resulta para mí en beneficio de la obra, no sé entonces qué escoger. Porque de ambas cosas estoy puesto en estrecho, teniendo deseo de partir y estar con Cristo, lo cual es muchísimo mejor; pero quedar en la carne es más necesario por causa de vosotros. Y confiado en esto, sé que quedaré, que aún permaneceré con todos vosotros, para vuestro provecho y gozo de la fe, para que abunde vuestra gloria de mí en Cristo Jesús por mi presencia otra vez entre vosotros. Solamente que os comportéis como es digno del evangelio de Cristo, para que o sea que vaya a veros, o que esté ausente, oiga de vosotros que estáis firmes en un mismo espíritu, combatiendo unánimes por la fe del evangelio," (Reina Valera 1960)

Cuando se leyeron esos versos, a fin recibí una respuesta. Y siento yo, tan fuertemente, esa noche, como ahora. Aunque éstas son las palabras de Pablo, yo siento que éstas son las ultimas palabras de mi abuelo a mí. A nosotros todos, pero mas especifico, a mí. La respuesta viene aquí, en los versos 19 al 21, y también del 23 al 26. "Pero quedar" el 24 dice "Pero quedar en la carne es más necesario por causa de vosotros." La respuesta, el ¿por qué? Y después lo que el siempre, siempre, siempre enseñaba, y todo el, la culminación de todo, y el propósito más grande de todo esto, para mí, el 27 "Solamente que os comportéis como es digno del evangelio de Cristo, que sea o que vaya a veros, o que esté ausente," y ahora el esta físicamente ausente, pero en las memorias nuestra, vive. Pero, el legado que el nos dejó es eso, de vivir en Cristo. Y yo les sugiero otra vez que lean ese pasaje, porque eso para mí, me impacto de tal manera y siento yo, como les dije, que esos fueron, como si fueron las ultimas palabras de mi abuelo a mí. Y es necesario eso, el verso 27 "comportéis digno al evangelio de Cristo" y ese es el mensaje que yo creo, la santificación, la muerte del yo. Todo eso era a ese fin, a ser, a vivir, digno del evangelio de Cristo. Muchas Gracias.

No comments:

Post a Comment